Sunday, September 6, 2009

I found the Introduction to From Totems to Hip Hop to be very enlightening. As a student who has grown up with the traditional "white" canon, I can honestly say that I know virtually nothing of the poetry of Poets of Color. Reed might pass this off as my desire to be lazy, to be unwilling to "do the work." His statement that, "They want everybody to join in the effort of making things easy and comfortable for them. They want an intellectual affirmative action to exempt them from studying other cultures as rigorously as everyone has studied theirs. That will enable them to bypass the hard work the rest of us have put into becoming acquainted with something Americans call Western Civilization," struck me as somewhat true, though not, in my case, as maliciously intentional as Reed suggests. While he seems to be referring to those poets and intellectuals who make the canon, in my case, the indoctrination of academia with regards to these different types of poetry sneaked in upon me, unknown, and took up residence. Until one knows that a bias exists, ridding oneself of it is out of the question. I do not feel that I know much about other cultures, especially compared to some, but this is not because I don't want to know. In some ways, I have been unaware of the academic canon's hold on me. In other ways, I have had to dedicate myself to other items of interest without having much time left over to become an expert on every other thing one could possibly be an expert in. It took me dating a young man of Mexican descent to even become aware that the social circles of my youth consisted of only white people. I wasn't biased against black people, hispanics, asians or any other race. I simply had no contact with them. And I had no contact with them because it never occurred to me to seek them out. 

Another reason I have been hesitant about learning about Poets of Color is from a general feeling that as a white person, I do not belong. And often, the feeling that those who belong to the group of poets of color do not want me to belong. And it is not merely from some awkward feeling for myself being in the wrong place and not fitting in that I hide from it, but a desire not to be perceived as trying to lay a claim to a piece of history that is not mine. Perhaps I will ask all of the wrong questions, or make statements that belie my ignorance of the topic. Perhaps I will come across as intolerant (unintentionally) or as though I'm trying to be something I'm not. Rational or not, these are legitimate feelings of a person who has always been white, in white South, with grandparents who were in the KKK and still use inappropriate terms to describe black people and hispanics. That is not me. But it is my heritage. I am embarrassed by it, because my history is a part of me. But how often can I apologize for the sins of my fathers and grandfathers? How often can I apologize for the misguided, fearful and inconscionable acts of my white heritage? Perhaps if I am knowledgeable, I will no longer have to apologize for where I come from. In this class, certainly, as with other classes at Mills, I am in the minority and I feel keenly the sting of not exactly belonging. I am glad that Ishmael Reed put such eloquent words to the feelings of marginalization I'm sure everyone sometimes (if not all the time) must feel.

--H.K. Rainey

5 comments:

  1. As a POC ( both Poet and Person of color) you're welcome to join in the conversation! I imagine that the things you've said are felt by a lot of students. Some of my closest white friends have expressed the same sentiment. And I think for me I feel a little bit of sadness about it but also a little bit of anger. The "white" canon isn't only unconciously forced upon you but all of us. And the fact that we have to put in any extra effort to look for writers of color is ridiculous and an outrage. That being said I think we're all taking a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got it out. Now we can get down to business.

    We all must begin from a place of acknowledgment, of ourselves and others as humans. Any person who publicly admits her fears and the elements of her history that cause her shame has courageously initiated room for useful dialogue toward becoming a better and more compassionate person (you can't get much smarter HK, but I suppose there is always room to increase the volume of thought one is exposed to and the balance bars with which one weighs it out). hoo-rah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty. I understand that you don't want to be associated with the history and pain. Its in the past, a past that is hard for some to let go and forgive. Its inevitable for a poets of color class to not speak of the racial injustices and educational injustices that we have all faced. We are left to be allies, or enemies, or ignorant or enraged. I strive to find a balance, where I can hear your story and be open. I am Chicana. I cannot say I am perfectly bilingual. I speak Spanish but its not perfect for some, its corrected by others. Sometimes I feel shame and guilt for even opening my mouth. Sometimes I am embraced for admitting that I don't speak fluent Spanish. I am accepted the way I am but that really has to do with how I accept myself and my journey with language. ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. H.K., I'm happy to see you share these feelings with the class. While you have shared them with me (and others in the Mills poetry program), I think sharing it here makes your efforts to grow that much more evident.

    I applaud your bravery and will step out on a limb and say, we can learn together. As a black woman-poet with lots of mixed ancestry, I can say that I am ashamed that I do not know more of the poets we are reading in this class. I took this class to learn and to be exposed to that which I have not sought out before now for a number of reasons (none worth mentioning because they all seem rather silly now). I don't feel I have a claim to one particular history because I have so many histories in my blood -- none that have been handed down to me in a way that gave me pride or a sense of belonging, so I, like you, have often felt like the outsider.

    At any rate, we are all here to learn something. Anyone who isn't here to learn probably wouldn't take this class (or maybe that's just my philosophy).

    My point is that even people of color can feel left out of the conversation that includes them and their heritage. I think we both selected the presentation for "identity" -- I don't know your reasons, but my reason was to push me out of this uncomfortable place of not knowing and into a place where I can search and find what I know has been missing.

    Let's journey together!
    Kiala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah for Heather and for support of the idea that we are all at different levels of exposure--education is ongoing, re-arranging our programming, evolving is continuous. you will always find people you haven't read that you wish you had read...
    what's important about Heather's post is not the belonging or not belonging, but about intersection...where do we touch?
    e

    ReplyDelete