Tuesday, October 20, 2009

There She Go, There She Goes-A Hip Hop Ballad Battle

For this week’s readings the poems that resonated with me the most were in the section: It Was the Music That Made Us from Bum Rush the Page. This section began and stayed relatively strong with a womanist, or feminist take on hip hop. Thank you to the editors Tony Medina and Louis Reyes Rivera for not just including a token splice, but allowing us to breathe a layered representation of critical thought and savvy poetic flow. From Jessica Care Moore’s poem “I’m a Hip Hop Cheerleader” to Nzinga Regtuinah Chavis’s “enter(f*#@ckin)tained” I was delighted to engage with readings that demonstrated both a love for hip hop in form and yet were critical of content reflected in the mainstream.


In “I’m a Hip Hop Cheerleader” Jessica Care Moore is not afraid to express her gender and bravely shows us a feminine strength in raising serious issues with humor and pom poms. I first came across Moore’s work through a circle of girlfriends who sent one of her poems, “I’m in Love With Potential,” around through email. With a recent breakup having just passed at the time, her poem hit me in a nurturing, strong way and made me laugh. I enjoyed it so much I posted it on one of my blogs! Here it is,



I'm in love with potential


I keep falling in love with potential

But it never seems to work out

He was full of a lot of it

And he was TALL

But potential had a way of becoming diluted with insecurities

And just cause you can see the beauty of someone

Doesn't mean they can see it for themselves

Still I believed potential would eventually love me

As much I loved him

Then begin to love himself

The way I loved myself

But there was someone else

There always is

Potential had an influential way

Of showing me what my potential was

And he celebrated all I could do without him

Potential reminded me of how he loved my commitment

To doing whatever I had to do to exercise my own potential

Even if that meant potentially leaving him behind

Still I unconditionally loved potential

And held on to the potential future we could have

If only he would see our potential

Without being intimidated by my own potential

If he would just stop loving me with conditions

Especially when I loved him

Simply for the possibility of how great

He could become and already was

But didn't know it

Cause he was caught up in my potential,

Instead of seeing my life

As a reflection of what he already had or

What we could potentially have together

And that meant loving you when you hadn't yet

Reached your full potential

But helping you get there as quickly as possible

Isn't it just a bit too easy to fall in love

With someone after the glory and

Not along the slow, goal setting, potential way?

And if I didn't love your possibilities

Then I didn't love you

And if you didn't realize our possibilities

Because you were too wound up in my potential

Then you didn't really love me

I guess sometimes we give potential too much credit

And borrow interest from our own accounts

Without taking ourselves into account

How many times did I blow off your behavior

Relying on potential?

I can no longer count

Or wait around for you

To let me stand naked in front of you

So you can see yourself as worthy of my love

You loving me for me and not through me

Can really be potentially dangerous



Now again in Bum Rush The Page, Moore has poetically delivered a similar upbeat, feisty attack with “grown ass woman” tactics. An aspect I appreciate in both of these two poems by Moore is her ability to not let us “off the hook” as women. She challenges us to take responsibility for our choices and not settle for less than what we righteously deserve, whether it be our choice of partner in a relationship, or the music we listen to or create. In this “the personal is political” style Moore reminds me of our local Bay Area heroine poet, Aya de Leon who is best known for her work on these themes such as in her book Thieves in the Temple: The Reclaiming of Hip Hop (which she later turned into a one-woman show) and her performance, act of self-love in “Deciding to Marry Myself.”


Jessica Care Moore’s “I’m a Hip Hop Cheerleader” carries as a hip hop ballad and battle for women, witnessing herself and other women who continue to represent. She masterfully repeats the music sample lines from “There I go, There I go” (from “Same Song” by Tupac and Digital Underground) in the middle and toward the end of the poem (p 191) and changes the lyrics to,


there she go

there she goes...



An ending that has no end and pushes us to come along with her in a wave of optimism and change for new voices to enter. Thank you, Jessica Care Moore!

1 comment: