Sunday, October 11, 2009

Looking at the poet not myself

Well self centernedness abound So , I will take a look at Miguel Pinero and what he is doing in The Book of Genesis According to St. Miguelito. Okay so I am a sick puppy because I think this is so dark and funny. Wait a minute I mean it is so dark and horrifying. Pinero' s god is one who creates slums and ghettos and when that isn't enough he creates rivers of garbage. And god is dope sick. So if We are made in his image then it would fit for god to create all of the evils that come with street drugs and eventually genocide. I think Pinero's God is the DEA and white gowrnment that control the sale of drugs at the highest, heavenly levels, and allows eevrything else trickle down into a massive war on people of color using the war on drugs as an excuse Or more importantly I think Pinero's use of the creation story points out the huge hole in the myth of creation and the racism and classism that is built into religion. I love all th elines of begats... and that it is Satan who plants trees of conciousness and that God need the media to keep up the lie and say be cool, and the poeple were cool.

This piece made me think about our conversation about authenticity and I don't think this poem could be written by someone with out direct knowledge of addiction and poverty and anger at the media and government. And God did not come down and say < Just say no to drugs and pass out free rides to the Betty Ford clinic

3 comments:

  1. You outline great points about wrong/right, race and consciousness in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love what you do here and how you interpret. you need to do full reader responses that go to every level of the work(s) as well.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this poem, too. I loved the rhythm of it, the sarcasm of it, the wryness of it. And, the truth of it.

    ReplyDelete