Saturday, October 24, 2009

spoken word contrapuntals?

The question of content v. form is one that never gets old for me. Is form reacting to content, is content built around form? Does it switch halfway through the writing of the poem? I’m interested, sign me up.

I just about peed my pants when I saw “A Blue Black Pearl” in BumRush today. Seriously. How many contrapuntal poems do you find in a book of spoken word poems? Um, NONE. Bam, so stoked, especially after reading what a jaw-dropping four-footer this one by Clairesa Clay is.

I decided to look up what contrapuntal actually means (when not applied to poems), and the definition is unsurprising: of, relating to, or marked by counterpoint. This makes great sense, considering the latin root of the word, contra punctum, expands to very literally mean “point against point.” I think the term is originally a musical word, but I’ll leave the expansion of that to HK Rainey, since I’m almost positive she knows much more about it than me (and can probably explain it better, too).

My understanding of the contrapuntal (a poem that is multidirectional in its reading) is that, like in music, the two directions represent two distinct sounds or voices. Often, I think, contrapuntal poems tell two versions of a story within one. They are not necessarily opposing views, but definitely different vantage points. Often, one is much more poetic than the other, by fault of tricky punctuation (or none, as the case may be) or missing articles or pronouns.

In “A Blue Black Pearl,” the voices take hold right away. There is a history being told, a reparation for the past being carved out. We read down the columns for a cold, hard story. She is frank with us, tells it straight, and lets us breathe during the looping of “forty years.” There is a moment of transformation that happens at the end, but one that definitely isn’t complete without the additional reading.

The second reading, across all four “feet” of the poem, let’s the narration drop into a trance-like reflection. Instead of seeing the narrator straight on as she speaks to us, we are pushed to zoom in past her and focus on what’s happening behind the words. Whereas “forty years” was a place holder in the previous reading, it has become the drumbeat that keeps us steady with our eyes closed. Because the “forty years” lines appear in somewhat of a predictable pattern (two or three grouped closely and then a long break, in which the language becomes intense both topically and phonetically), we can pace ourselves through what might otherwise be an unusual reading. Instead, the poem seems like an incantation from this direction, a stretched mantra of healing for this blue black pearl.

By the time we reach the ending of the poem (in the second, horizontal reading), the speaker doesn’t sound any more relieved and yet we must know that she is. Like the relief after a good cry or the breaking of the sky over your eyelids after heavy meditation, we are pulled from the poem abruptly, but with a sense of self. We have a body, we know where we stand. There is some kind of intuitive hope that slips in during this hypnotizing read that couldn’t have happened within the plain narrative.

So when I return to the question of content v. form, I’m not necessarily concerned with which happened first, but with the fact that they both happened, finally. This poem would have been really long and hard to follow had it been written sporadically across the page or, pete forbid, in one tiny column against the left hand margin. Then again, not just any poem works in the contrapuntal form. Technically they do, but not intuitively or emotionally.

I guess my question, then, is how do we know which form to choose? Is it like trying on clothes, you pop the words into different forms until you find one that’s occasion-appropriate (and cross your fingers that it fits)?

And then also -- how would you read this aloud? 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out. . . :)

    You are correct: the polyphonic (multi-voiced) component of contrapuntal forms is absolutely essential to any understanding of counterpoint. I suppose one could also poetically ascribe the musical characteristics of contrapuntal devices to poetry: imitation (mimesis), canon, inversion, augmentation, and dimunition. Thus, "Blue Black Pearl" might also use counterpoint to imitate itself, question itself, further explain itself, or discount itself. It certainly does allow for multiple readings. Based on this assessment, one might expect the poem to be more than just the author's voice, but a collection of voices (the choral voice, as Susan Gevirtz would say). It might also be interesting to read the poem in "inversion" mode: turning the poem upside down (take that either literally, or metaphorically). An inversion will move in the opposite direction from its counterpoint. Perhaps Clay is trying to say this in her last line, "Re-winding, from unity.)" In poetry, counterpoint could also be viewed as a question and answer mode. I could see this in the line "my high heels/ (Hear me!)/ the glory train!,/ For forty years".

    HK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice discussion both Meg and HK and some good mapping Meg. the counterpoint, counterpunctual is great because it's also dependent on each part and there for, reversible. It's also very jungian because it coexists with its shadow. yes, meg, you're right, we can go on and on
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was hoping you would decode this one for me. (btw - pete is chuckling)

    knew you, and hk, would not disappoint. if this is what "colleagues" feels like, i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, Thanks for writing about this poem. When I first approached it, I thought I might like to write about it because its form was the most clearly different from the others we’re reading this week, but then I didn’t know what to say about it! I appreciate your giving me the word for the form of this poem. Your explanation of contrapuntal (and H.K.’s) really helped my understanding. You’ll notice I used the word “approached” instead of “read” above. I felt like I needed to get a handle on the form before I could explore the content. I read it in columns first as you describe, but I had difficulty with reading it across. I like your use of the word “hypnotizing” – it fits, and it gave me permission to let go of my more traditional reading. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to throw down Meg! Snap! I too am curious about the question of which form for which piece. It makes me consider if we took this poem and wrote it five different ways what it might do to our lens and view. Or if we try reading our own work backwards, or intertwining two different poems, or writing the same content in three different forms.

    I'm also always curious about silence in a poem and a work's depiction of violent acts. If A Blue Black Pearl is read up and down in columns what if anything happens in that space between columns, or the shift between pages? In term of violent representations the destruction is encapsulated in a broken or false promise (in forty years) like a pearl is encapsulated in an oyster. And if the pearl in the center is blue & black rather than protected by its insulation than we have a pressure and urgency propelling itself to fissure.

    ReplyDelete