Sunday, October 4, 2009

I really liked the work in Aloud this week especially that of Reg e. Gaines. He created such a strong sense of voice in each of his pieces and each one while having similarities the voices are very distinct. His content feels fresh despite the fact that it might feel like something we’ve heard before and I think it’s great that he just states the facts and doesn’t feel the need to be abstract. The first poem, Please Don’t Take My Air Jordans, was my favorite of the poems.

When I first started the poem, I took the title to be the voice of the narrator and I really liked the switch up. I originally thought that this poem would end with the narrator being robbed for his Jordans and at first, this seems like a viable story, the opening stanzas lead us to believe that the kid is rich and can have whatever he wants:

“ my air jordans cost a hundred with tax
my suede starts jacket says raiders on the back
I’m stylin….smilin…looking real mean cuz
it ain’t about bein heard just bein seen

my leather adidas baseball cap
matches my fake gucci backpack
there’s nobody out there looks good as me
but the gear costs money it sure ain’t free”

The kid is just another spoiled boy who roams the street pretending to be a badass exactly what you would think . Quickly the reader discovers that this isn’t the case. We, the reader, discover that what is important for the boy is still appearances but it’s getting to the appearance that’s the key. Gaines makes us accomplices in the behavior of this kid. We haven’t taught him to value his education, we haven’t taught him that his clothes don’t make him a man and in fact rap videos and media make him believe that how you dress and what you own are all that matters. Of course this is all in the subconscious because as he says “and the reason I have to look real fly/ well to tell ya the truth man I don’t know why”. Then we become an accomplice to the murder that he commits. The reader is the only witness to the murder and the only one who hears this other boy’s last words. Then he quickly dismisses the death and moves on.

Gaines really implicates the larger society in this poem. He uses the voice of this teen that we see depicted in the media, on the streets, in our friends and in our families. This boy whose voice Gaines embodies is no one new to us and that is what makes him so compelling. Seeing inside the head of someone you pass on the streets everyday is really interesting and Gaines keeps the work compelling by switching our perceptions. This boy isn’t just playing delinquent as we might think…he’s taken the next step to murder without remorse. As you read you begin to wonder, is this the fifth time he’s done it? The hundredth? How much of his gear has come from murder? What also makes the poem compelling is the rhyme scheme. I’m not usually a fan of rhyming as a rule but I think it works here as a way of creating voice for us. With the voice of this boy and what we know about him, the rhyming adds an amateur rapper sort of feeling to the poem, which you might imagine this narrator to be. I think it’s really great that Gaines keeps this poem feeling fresh despite the fact that we might feel we have a handle on this character already.

I really enjoyed the work from Aloud and Bum Rush this week. Not that I didn’t enjoy the other poems that we had to read but I really appreciated that the poems, which were written to be performed and read on the page, had a great honesty to them. They really stated things plain, which I always like. Sometimes I feel like we take abstract and metaphor too far as poets, I do it too sometimes. I think what I really like about these poems is that they are written to be enjoyed by the masses because that’s the way that you win competitions. I am definitely of the poetry is for everyone and not just academia so I liked the work.

5 comments:

  1. eboni,
    you really sliced through the layers of reg e's poems and not many people see more than a persona poem. i appreciate your observations. the academy may not have the tools to read all these poems yet, but they're coming
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this poem too! It's just a poem that I can relate to personally because I know plenty of males who would probably kill for some jordans ( or would have som eyears ago). In high school and middle school especially they were such a big deal to have. I have only had one pair of jordans my whole life and I didn't even buy them they were a gift from a relative, but I distinctly remember not wearing them as much because of what they represented. Yea this poem can pretty much relate to anybody.

    -Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked a lot of what you've said here. The voice uncovers so much about our own insecurities as a culture. I appreciate that you see the various dimensions of the piece and that as our perceptions as readers change you continue to thoughtfully dissect the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my favorites too! I like what you had to say. You know I find it so sad that some people really care about appearences and how fly they look, when none of that should matter. I remember when i was in H.S the guys and girls were all into Jordans...it was the in thing. There was a girl I knew who stole other peoples money from there bags I( sadly i was one of her many victims) when they weren't looking just to buy Jordans. tsk tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. holla at Eboni's brilliance! To echo from your insightful post, whats different for me about this poem is the sliver of self awareness. As you pointed out the character doesn't know why he kills for Jordans but the poet does. The poet writes about the character's 10 cent ego popping and how being seen is the most important feature for this kid. Which is sad right... that he feels so invisible he will literally kill to be seen. In Joy Leary's book Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome she talks about vacant self esteem. That the only cultural capital this kid can cash in on is his outward appearance. Who he is is represented by what he's got cause that's the only way he remains visible. This character also strikes me as a bit of a trickster. One who on the surface may seem like some stereotype but who ultimately reveals the social positioning and workings of a community under oppression.

    But I digress from the poem. The line that hinges this poem for me is "when I'm wearin fresh gear I don't have to hide". Which reveals the irony of this kid's unconscious actions. He is hiding to an extent or masking himself behind material things because the only way he is seen as important or even as a person is in the extension of what he has. His self worth is staked in his momentary portable wealth. And while he remains fixated on keeping a place of visibility and maintaining an image of value he just spirals into the same lateral violence and racist system. Here he is fighting other kids of color for their sneakers not institutions or hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete