Sunday, November 8, 2009

Politics and John Olivares Espinoza

Espinoza's poems, Contemporary American Hunger, Learning Economics at Gemco, and Las Cucarachas are not only political statements, they are poignant and powerful commentary on how Americans view poverty.

I selected these three poems because reading them one after the other I saw the poet highlighting one side of poverty and in many ways saying that poverty is a matter of perspective. Since poverty is often considered a direct result of the politics of economy, I found it fitting to combine my discussion of these poems for this week.

One of the questions from this week's group was: How does the theme of politics influence your reading of these poems? For me, I kept thinking about how the definition of poverty seemed different when I was growing up. I mean we were probably poor by the politician'ss and statistician's definitions, but I didn't know it until I was an adult.

I think Espinoza does a great job of demonstrating this reality in the poem Contemporary American Hunger.

Satisfied, we ventured through a rainbow
Of tubes and balls with the other kids,
Their stomachs full of Big Macs or Happy Meals.
But we were happy too--better than staying
At home on a Saturday
Eating potato tacos after our yard chores.

and in Learning Economics at Gemco

I place the coins into his cupped hands
And he stacks two neat columns of cents
Next to his seat on the curb.
He nods his chin, half-solemnly.

...I ask Mom why?--
We only tried to help.

These poems, told from the perspective of a child living with poor parents, make it a point to state the complex using simple language. Giving us setting and circumstance helps to establish a tone that is non-accusatory, but in many ways speaks volumes.

In Las Cucarachas, Espinoza starts by establishing who (the roaches) and where (everywhere in your house), thus showing a universal picture of the place where roaches reside. He speaks of the roaches as beings graced and favored by God.

offering thanks
and grace
to a god who favors
them with the lost
harvest of the earth.

but he never accuses anyone for the roaches and never states directly that they are a result of poverty, it just seems understood. It could be that I'm detecting politics as humor or irony in the three poems.

Like the ironic moment in stanza 5 of Learning Economics at Gemco:

The cop says bums make thirty bucks a week
Begging for change
And are not so unhappy
When arrested
Since they get food, shelter,
And a hot shower for a least a week.

or the humorous moment in lines 9 - 11 of Las Cucarachas:

They munch on dry corn
flakes you thought
were raisin bran.

Espinoza is the one writer this week that really caught my eye because of his use of irony and humor in his writing. I found that I was able to connect to it in many ways. He provides lots of access points into his work because he does not point the finger at anyone, he simply uses poetry to point at what's always been there.

peacelovelight
Kiala

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Espinoza's work as well. It definitely got me thinking about my own childhood perspections of poverty, vs. what I consider to be poor now. It was definitely a little sad to read this child's story and getting the sense that he doesn't understand and yet...he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting because I was thinking about Espinoza's humor and how that both serves to lighten a lot of the emotions in his poetry and at the same time makes it more dark and depressing. The irony is funny but then when you start to thin about what it shields and why it's there it makes the situation/life being depicted all the more sad for the need to cover it, to make it into something else. Humor as a defense mechanism is interesting because it's a way to talk about something you may not be able to in any other way but then the pain underneath is all the more intense and surprising because of the shock of discovering it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. since i've decided to make people laugh during the 2nd half of my life, i appreciate Espinoza taking the victimology out and putting the perspective of irony in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's one of my favorites this week too. The wherewithal, the invention, that comes with being sidelined in the dominant political structure - making something out of nothing, for economics is indeed married to politics - the currency of ingenuity calls up a heart-wrenching pride in me.

    The description of the mother in "Learning Economics" touched me deeply. It is in the moments of giving when one has nothing that revive my faith in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here here on the removing victimology! so sick of that shit, so happy to see it turned on its head for once. i love how so much is subverted in these pieces, that there are multiple flips going on at once so that we are not only surprised, but satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cultural poitioning between mcdonlanlds and having potoes as home. It remind me that so many American traditions are hallow and about consumtion rather than commmunication and connetion with family.

    ReplyDelete