Sunday, November 15, 2009

After watching the video for “Nigger-Reecan Blues,” I found that the performing of the piece added more to the piece than was visible on the page. Without Perdomo’s intonation, hand movements and facial expressions, the page poem did not exhibit the humor so prevalent in the performed version. On the page, the poem seems more confrontational while in the performed version the writer/performer could make the listener feel a part of the action not an object of it. In addition, Perdomo added some additional words in the performed piece that I thought made his observations more vivid and enjoyable. For example, the page poem presents the following lines:

I can’t even catch a taxi late at night and the newspapers say that if I’m not in front of a gun, chances are that I’ll be behind one. I wonder why. . .

In the performed version, the image becomes more poignant when the line “I can’t even catch a taxi late at night,” is changed to:

Taxi drivers are quick to turn on those off-duty signs when they see my hand in the air

This language removes the culpability from the speaker by moving the action from the speaker to the taxi driver, from, “I can’t” to “Taxi drivers.” The syntax is more stimulating and conversational, less didactic. It also seems that the page version is dependent on the element of spoken sound. The dashes used to indicate dialogue give this away. In the performed version, certain movements of the speaker’s head and neck, certain vocal conceits, give us an indication that the speaker is speaking through the voices of those that are speaking to him. On the page, we require dashes to signal this move, and the dashes on the page seem clunky and somewhat out of place when judged against the flowing, conversational nature of the piece. The punctuation serves as an unwanted revelation of the bones of the work, like a ribcage exposed on a still-living person.

Whereas I liked the performed version of “Nigger-Reecan Blues” better than the page version, I did not feel the same way about “Rock Me, Goong Hay!” I thoroughly enjoyed the page version of this piece, admiring its clever rhymes, its intrinsic rhythms and its tongue in cheek humor. Unlike Perdomo’s piece, the humor in “Rock Me, Goong Hay!” was inescapable and effective. In the performed rap version, however, physical limitations of the speed of the reader’s human voice, the microphone, electronic equipment, and other issues regarding the venue served to put the poem at a disadvantage. For one thing, the speaker was required to talk so fast that many of the words were not audible and therefore, the message was not clear. Also, I felt that the internal music of the piece was overwritten by the rap beats produced by the musical instruments. It seemed that as a listener, my attention was more on the rhythmic drumbeat than on the message, which might have been okay had the words to the poem not been so involved or clever. I felt that when having to vy for attention with the drums and the lights of the venue, something was irrevocably lost.

Finally, after reading Tony Medina’s “New York City Rundown,” I was somewhat glad I didn’t have to hear this poem performed aloud. The content of the poem was so very confrontational that I felt that watching the reactions of myself and of the other listeners would be supremely uncomfortable. I am all about speaking the truth, but I felt assaulted by this poem even though I don’t feel guilty of most of the things “I” am being accused of as a result of the color I was born. I have come to understand that “whiteness” is now a common catchphrase for intolerance, for the mainstream that attempts to blend everything different into one shade, the fairer the better, to swallow into itself and pulverize anything outside the norm; however, I am not that individual, as far as I can tell. I feel that the poem intentionally excluded me on every level. Not only that, the poem belittled me and was enraged with me, pushing me aside. Of no small consequence is the fact that the poem was LONG. I’m afraid that hearing it performed, not being able to step away from the content, swallow my anger, and digest its message in smaller doses, the poem and I would never be able to reconcile our relationship.

6 comments:

  1. that was funk baby, not rap. but i agree - for Goong Hay, the performance didn't help the piece. poor guy saw more of the band than he did the audience.

    "like a ribcage exposed on a still living person."
    dashes will forever be more interesting to me now.

    i have a question: if you are not that individual, why are you excluded and angry? this is not rhetorical or meant to pick a fight. i appreciate you sharing with candor. i'm trying to understand identification, and how we, in whatever race group(s) we belong, can acknowledge facts and consider opinions without feeling labeled by them. or find the frightened pieces of ourselves and figure out why, dissolve them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not up on my rap or funk, I suppose. ;-)

    In answer to your question, I am part of the group because I share identifying characteristics, such as being white and being female. Yet I am not part of the group because I agree with the general message of the piece. Lumping all white people together is the beginning to feel the same as lumping all other races together by giving them shared features that eventually seem to take a negative turn. Whiteness is on its way to becoming stereotypical, it seems sometimes. That's all. I get what the poem's trying to say. It just felt after a while like I was being beaten over the head with it.

    P.S. I considered not writing about this poem at all because it would require candor. I don't really feel like I'm allowed to say how I feel about something like this. It took me a while of considering it to decide to just put it out there. I hope no one took offense. None was intended. Sometimes, I just wish we could get past the "whiteness" label and think of another word for what is being talked about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HK and Shel,
    I'm interested in this post, mostly because of what I see here in HKs brave attempt at talking about something she felt so strongly about and because of Shelly's timely questions and HKs response to them. It all fascinates me. I think I'm mostly fascinated by this because I feel like it's necessary to mention that Medina's poem is not just confrontational to white people, he is also confronting several issues that people of color deal with but won't own up to, like passing and trying desperately to assimilate which is really a sign of self-hatred, and so many other things. This poem is NOT about beating any one group over the head -- he is telling everyone to wake up -- he ends the poem with "and WE must save it" -- I think this is what's powerful in the poem. He calls out Asian Americans, African Americans, Latino/a Americans, and Americans in general.

    Basically, I think your reading of this poem as a stab at whiteness is interesting because I feel like he should have hit harder in places -- both to people of color and to the "white man".

    I think you totally are allowed to say what you think about this poem -- that's the point of this class, right? And I'm glad you said it because I take that to mean you are open to a discussion about your interpretation of the poem, which will ultimately lead to a discussion about why this one (of all the poems we've read this term) made you feel so uncomfortable. I also think that now that you have brought this to the table, it allows for discussion about how that uncomfortable feeling you feel is what people of color carry with them most of the time -- it's the feeling of being an outsider.

    BRAVO! I think you just made a breakthrough!?

    kg

    p.s. that feeling is the same feeling I get when I have to read or listen to Mei-Mei or Heijinian, or Ginsberg or Olson -- you know, like -- this isn't really meant for me, but I gotta engage with it somehow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, KG, for this! I feel so much better now! And I think you're absolutely right. I think that the poem and I are on our way to forgiving and accepting each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great dialogue. i was surprised HK that you got hit by medina because he is pretty specific about the power brokers and systems and institutions that have oppressed rather than the dude walking through Target trying to find boxer shorts. but pay attention too to the point kbg makes about poc's subjugation for Years to a canon that excludes. holy cow. As Jessica's final project quotes June Jordan, if i can learn from shakespeare....this is a great dialogue and probably a long time coming. one doesn't have to be poc to be aware or to be an ally. your willingness to allow the dialogue for real is important and so satisfying
    e

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you really went into deep detail about how much the poems assigned are connected with you or how you can deeply connect with them. I love the deepness and your ability to be able to relate with the poetry at such a high standard. Hmmmm....nice.

    -Dorothy

    ReplyDelete