Sunday, August 30, 2009

langston hughes is a badass

Hi friends. Meg here.

I have to admit that hearing Langston Hughes read his own work made the poems (proclamations, confessions, questions) really come alive for me. They popped, out of nowhere. Just hearing that one poem (The Weary Blues) in his cadence with his steady voice shifted my reading of every other piece in the packet. It had everything to do with his timing, his tone. I went back & read them again, finding that I had new things to say about them & new respect for them. I was excited, suddenly. Curious. I’m wondering, sheepishly, if this is proof that I am a sad product of white, privileged akademia or if I simply favor poetry off the page. Probably both?

Either way, I really believe that this is work that belongs in both spaces; in some cases, reading it aloud might downplay some of his wordplay at the same time that limiting it to the page really limits its power. I’m thinking a lot about power as I read these poems – his, theirs, mine, & also that of the reader, the speaker, the poet.

I have questions & comments about each poem, but I’m not sure how to lay them out here. I’ll focus on my favorite piece & maybe see what other folks post & comment there later on.

While Let America Be America is my favorite poem (omg Hughes is such a badass!), Cultural Exchange has got me hooked. I spent a lot of time with this poem trying to dust off the surface layer of his allusions & repetition, moving back and forth between the dictionary & the encyclopedia.

I like the way the word “exchange” is used in this poem’s title. I project myself here, having read through it, and imagine foreign exchange students, their embarkment voluntary & eye-opening, not to mention exciting. While I realize that this kind of exchange is not necessarily what Hughes is enacting by the end of the poem – and the political pro-segregationists he calls out are far spit from innocent foreign exchange students --  I like to think that we, as contemporary readers, can still have that eye-opening reminder. We can participate in the contrast of that last stanza, hop onto that two-way cultural street & try to imagine who, in contemporary government (or any kind of power, really), we might substitute for Faubus, Eastland & Wallace. I’m wondering what our “cultural exchange” of today might look like.

I want to hop back to the beginning of this poem. In the first stanza, Hughes introduces Leontyne in the last line. Leontyne Price (if this is, in fact, to whom he’s referring) was an African American soprano who came up in the 1950s & 60s. She was America’s first African American prima donna in the Metropolitan Opera, a huge step for the arts world at the time. I love that line, “Yet Leontyne’s unpacking.” Hughes is so confident here, a perfect cross between defiant & cocky, that the adrenaline of the poem skyrockets. He owns you here, you can’t help but keep reading. He knows what’s going to happen, he knows that despite everything that’s going on to prevent desegregation & the momentum of civil rights, that Leontyne is here to stay.

I’m curious, though, in the next stanza, about the German reference “lieder.” The internets informed me that lieder is German for song, specifically a romantic art song, or pastoral tune pulled directly from a poem. Does anyone have a read on this? The wordplay & alliteration works wonders later on (“Lovely Lieder, Leontyne”), but I don’t know what the German references are for or why lieder is always capitalized.

I think I’ve probably written too much, so I’ll pull it up short here. The slant rhymes in the seventh stanza are so badass when fitted against the architecture of the poem. That stanza, in general, owns it. My favorite line is “Sometimes even buried with our family.” It’s dripping with so much past & present & future all at once, his confidence hitting the line out of the park.

Oh! One last thing: From what I’ve read (on the vast & often misleading internets), all of the misspellings are purposeful (such as in the first stanza). Hughes was a sharp mind & impeccable speller, and most folks (on said internets) say that the intentional misspelling was a prod toward what was expected of a “common black man,” as a means of inclusivity. I do feel that he had a personal agenda in writing it this way, but I doubt it was as simple as appealing to more readers or replicating an authentic voice. Ideas?

5 comments:

  1. I, too, was quite taken with this poem, and with how all the different cultural, political and literary allusions are sewn together. I love the repeated calls to the white Mammies in the end--what a powerful denouement!

    "Lieder," basically poems set to music, originated in Austria in the early 19th century. Franz Schubert is best known for the Lieder, composing the music for poems by Goethe and others. The Lieder were traditionally performed to small groups in intimate settings, with one vocalist and one pianist, as they are so deeply personal. (As for the capitalization, it is a genre of music, not sure if those are always capitalized, but, either way, all nouns in German are capitalized.)

    I think Langston's inclusion of this reference demonstrates his broad cultural knowledge of poetry and song. Perhaps he sees poetry and music coming together in movements like Blues and Jazz among Black Americans in a way similar to--or even more powerful than--the historic Lieder.

    I'm not sure why he combines this reference with collard greens. Lieder and greens stewing together. Very curious... any interpretations?

    I'm fairly certain Schubert was never widely recognized for his Lieder in his time (may have to check with my mom on this one) but they have left such a strong imprint on Austrian culture since. Are the writers and performers of Langston's Lieder (Leontyne?) recognized in their own time? Has their work left an imprint in our understanding of music, poetry and performance?

    Further, is this just a poetic allusion, or did the Lieder themselves have an impact on those creating art during the Harlem Renaissance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, first of all you are like the only person who wrote enough, so feel free to go on. Hughes brought riff to poetry, which we will talk about in class, and as you have recognized a huge body of knowledge went into these poems--i laugh when folks call them simple or elementary, yeah. anyway. thanks JL for the added information.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's how to unpack a poem. "far spit" ha! love it. and jessica, how 'bout that German comin' in right handy. thanks for sharing the resources in your repertoire.

    and as for the elementary, okay. i didn't spend enough time with the work before the post, nor did i understand the depths to which we are expected to reach with the posts. consider the error revised.

    for the record, i was not speaking of all of the poems in the set; however, some of the rhymes are (italics) elementary. Are you gonna tell me, "I live here, too. / I want freedom / just as you" is an example of complex phrasing? I get the be-who-they-think-i-am-and-smack-em-from-the-inside, but can we discuss what effect, what benefit, what success, what ramification this method had?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Hughes wanted to write it as he heard it. Not for any other reason than that, to him, the rhythm and sound of the spoken word were beautiful. I think it made him feel like that poem was home. :)

    H.K.

    ReplyDelete